Job Description: Assistant Nursery Manager
Salary £19000-£23000 (pro rata)
Reports to Nursery Manager
Hours 35 hours per week (Full Time Considered)
Application Form: Montessori Explorers Application Form 2021
A compassionate, kind, and caring leader who seeks to motivate and inspire practitioners to work with children and parents to the absolute best of their individual abilities. The Deputy role will contribute to develop a deep respect and love for children and will now be able to expand on this as they work with parents and colleagues to ensure the very best provision for the children. Create a harmonious and satisfying working environment for the benefit of the nursery. The role demands recognition that boldness and humility are needed in supporting and leading colleagues.
The role involves working with and supporting the Nursery Manager and fulfilling managerial responsibilities in the manager’s absence.
The Deputy Nursery Manager Duties:
- Support the management the nursery in accordance with Company ethos and policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with relevant current legislation as well as local authority and Ofsted requirements, seeking advice and accepting guidance from the management team as needed.
- Action and monitor all child protection and health and safety issues to ensure that any remedial action is taken immediately, and advice is sort from the management team.
- Offer all children an inclusive service with regard to their religious persuasion, racial origins, gender, disabilities, cultural or linguistic background; in particular, challenging situations where racism or discrimination is displayed.
- Support the requirements of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities via specialist programs so that the Company’s admission policy may be as inclusive as possible.
- Develop and maintain the nursery environment and equipment to ensure that it provides a clean, safe and high-quality learning environment that offers children a wide range of experiences and works in conjunction with the ethos of Montessori Explorers.
- Oversee and operate a programme of suitable learning and play activities in line with the Montessori Explorers approach and the EYFS, to foster the growth, happiness and development of each child within a beautiful environment.
- Support staff in the online journal insuring children make progress in their learning, through affective planning, observation and assessment.
- Liaise with outside agencies, including Children’s Services, health providers, local primary schools, advisory teachers, the local authority and SEN/inclusion agencies.
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this role description, the nursery manager may have access to confidential information relating to staff, children and parents. They may also have access to information relating to the practice of the company organization. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential. Consequently, ensure that appropriate records and administration systems, including the children’s families, staffing, registers, health and safety, sickness records etc., are maintained to ensure confidentiality of information.
- To follow Montessori Explores safe recruitment, making sure that those appointed are qualified/have the skills required to work in the nursery; references and DBS clearances are obtained, and contracts issued.
- Conduct regular inductions with all newly appointed staff, including changes in position, and set action plans for improvement with members of the team who may be failing.
- Supervise and provide advice, guidance and training to students, trainees and others on work placements or work experience in order that they receive the appropriate support. Give guidance and establish relationships with colleges and schools as necessary in order that their activities are coordinated.
- Ensure that all staff receive relevant training and guidance to allow them to carry out their jobs in accordance with the existing processes and through annual performance reviews.
- Deal with all disciplinary and grievance matters within the nursery, seeking advice and support from the management team, and where necessary, from HR.
- Ensure that Health & Safety policies are fully implemented within the nursery with support from Management team. Ensure the required standards of cleanliness and hygiene are achieved, risk assessments are in place, the environments and equipment are appropriately maintained, and that best practice is communicated and promoted throughout the nursery.
- Work with the Nursery manager and management team, to make the best possible effort to ensure the nursery is filled and carry out any duties involved in this process.
- Effectively and efficiently handle parental complaints, whether childcare or business in nature, seeking advice from the Nursery Manager where necessary.
- Working in partnership with parents, implement and manage an effective parent liaison programme, ensuring regular communication and interaction with parents including, producing a Termly newsletter for all nursery parents, monitoring the settling in process of all new children, promoting and enabling a parent’s close involvement in their child’s development.
- Develop and maintain an ethos of reflective practice across the nursery and use information to develop and support development plans designed to address areas identified for development across the nursery and for individuals.
- Adhere to the guidance issued in the Company’s Operational Plan, Policies and Procedures, and Staff Handbook, and ensure this is implemented throughout the nursery (this may include duties relating to administration, early years practice, leadership of the team and personal behaviour and responsibilities).
- Work with the management team to ensure the smooth running of the nursery.
- Attend meetings and training as necessary to ensure own professional development and ensure smooth running of the nursery.
- Take necessary action to ensure the smooth running of the setting and the safety and well-being of children, parents, and colleagues.
- Ensure that it is possible for the setting to run smoothly in the absence of the manager through appropriate delegation and teamwork.
- To be responsible for any tasks delegated by the Nursery Manager.
|Person Specification for Deputy Nursery Manager|
|Factors||Essential Criteria||Desirable Criteria|
|Education & Qualifications||· Minimum Level 4 qualification in Children and Young Peoples Workforce or equivalent.
· Maths and English Level 2 or equivalent
· Paediatric First Aid
· Safeguarding level 2
|· Degree in Early Years (or working towards)
· Management qualification.
· First Aid Qualification Food Hygiene Certificate
· Designated Safeguarding Level 3
|Experience||· 3 years post qualifying experience in day care setting
· Experience in delivering EYFs with children aged 0-5 years
· Knowledge of the Early Years Foundation Stage and current Ofsted statutory guidance.
· Proven practical experience of implementing good quality learning opportunities.
|· Experience in senior position.
· Using on line learning journal.
|· Knowledge of Early Years foundation stage and outcomes
· Knowledge of Development Matters including birth to three matters
· Knowledge of the Foundation Stage
· Knowledge of OFSETD standards
· Active understanding of diversity needs and implementation of British Values
· Knowledge of undertaking risk assessments
|· Conducting supervision and appraisals
· Behaviour management
|Skills||· Empathy and understanding of children under five.
· Excellent verbal and communication skills with children and parents. Ability to write reports and keep clear and accurate records.
· Excellent organisational skills
· Administrative and proficient IT skills
· Calm and caring nature
· Ability to work as part of a team Able to work on own initiative
· Support staff and students
· Confident to deal with potential new parents.