Montessori Explorers Nursery Manager Job Description
Salary £25000 – £28000
Reports to Director
Hours 40 hours per week
Application Form: Montessori Explorers Application Form 2021
Job Description PDF: Nursery Manager Job Description 2020.1
Personal Spec PDF: Nursery Manager Personal Spec 2020.1
To fulfil all the duties of a nursery manager as specified in the Early Years Foundation Years Statutory Framework whilst providing outstanding business leadership as a nursery manager through the delivery of:
• Quality and consistency of provision
• As secure foundation for babies and children & effective safeguarding practices are in place
• Ensuring financial controls are in place to maximize the nursery spaces
• Promotion and marketing of the Nursery to the community
• Effective partnership working
• Equality of opportunity
• Enabling effective learning and development within the nursery
• Support the objectives of the operational plan and the overall objectives of the nursery
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• To manage the nursery to an outstanding standard leading by example to others and thereby promote respect for the role.
• Responsibility for the recruitment and overall management of all childcare and other staff including safer recruitment, induction and appraisal of staff
• Responsible for all safeguarding oversight
• Develop and implement relevant policy and procedures for the nursery
• Ensure the emotional wellbeing of babies, children and staff
• Effectively manager and supervise staff within the nursery
• Oversee appropriate staffing in line with legal requirements of the EYFS
• Ensure effective performance management practices are in place
• Manage sick and absence through robust human resources
• Proactively contribute to effective team working and foster open and honest communication amongst all employees within the nursery
• To appropriately manage complaints, grievances, disciplinary issues
• Carry out on-the-job training and coaching for employees
• Commit to ongoing training and development within the nursery
• Work in partnership with parents/carers, recognising that parents are their children’s first educators, and encourage parental involvement in the nursery
• Help to identify new sources of income, opportunities for increased profit and ideas for cost reduction.
• Help to identify financial risks and produce contingency plans.
• Manage the petty cash procedures and the acceptance of cash into the nursery.
• Ensure the credit card machine is working and take card payments for fees.
• Assist with accounting for nursery income and expenditure.
• Assist with the creation and management of the sales and marketing plan.
• Proactively market the nursery in line with the sales and marketing plan.
• Responsible for overseeing the operational functions of the nursery including, maintain accurate records, complying with internal and external audits
• Input and maintain the nursery systems
• Reviewing, updating and implementing policies and procedures
• Ensure effective safeguarding of babies, children and staff
• Responsibility of health and safety audits and risk assessments including emergency drills procedures
• Ensure effective infection control and hygiene systems is in place at all times
• Oversight of the building and maintenance of the setting
• Delivery outstanding childcare and curriculum responsibilities
• Manage and attend regular parents meetings and open days.
• Assist with maintaining and undertaking monthly salaries.
• Review and monitor occupancy levels with the view to maintaining optimum capacity.
• Assist with the creation and on-going management of the nursery brand.
• Manage the enquiry, showround and bookings procedures
• Identify and implement sales activities to attract new parents and inspire the loyalty of existing parents.
• Ensure that there is a yearly calendar of events.
• Participate in all activities related to nursery publications, advertising, public relations, the web site and other marketing activities designed to promote the nursery
• Liaise with associations such as NDNA, CEYC and other agencies
• Liaise with suppliers ensuring that service and/or product price and quality is appropriate
• Ensure that information on the web site and marketing collateral is up to date.
• Any other duties and responsibilities within the range of the salary grade
3. Resource management
4. Trust and respect
5. Team player
Montessori Explorers Nursery Manager Personal Specification Essential Desirable
• Diploma of Higher Education in Early Years related subject
• and/or degree in Early Years, child development or other full and relevant qualification
• NVQ level 4 or equivalent
• First Aid Certificate, Health and Safety Certificate
• Level 2 Maths
• Level 2 English
• Level 3 leadership and management qualification
• Montessori Qualification
• Financial/Sales/Marketing qualification
• First Aid at Work
• Designated safeguarding training
• Food hygiene
• Minimum 5 years post qualifying childcare experience
• Minimum 2 years management experience
• Preparing and leading Ofsted inspections
• Financial and business management, budgetary planning and control
• Online learning journal
• Effective supervision and appraisal for staff
• HR and performance management of the workforce
• Working with key stakeholders for example, local authority, partners
• Use of online journals
Knowledge and understanding
• Strong understanding of the EYFS
• Understanding of Children Act and Ofsted requirements
• Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation
• Knowledge and understanding of safeguarding for children
• Knowledge of 30 hours free funding and how to support parents to get this
• Sound knowledge and experience of financial management and budgetary planning and control
• Needs of babies and children and ensuring effective plans are in place to offer continuous development for them
• Parent partnership
• Excellent understanding of leadership and management
• Knowledge of Montessori philosophy
• Positive, enthusiastic and hardworking
• Desire to continue with professional development
• Works hard to engage parents and key partners
• Nurturing and approachable
• Impeccable interpersonal skills
• Flexible – fitting hours around for when you are most needed at the nursery
• Ability to lead a nursery team and develop positive relationships with colleagues, parents and children
• Excellent communicator with internal staff and all members of public (agencies, parents, Ofsted)
• Displays commitment to the protection and safeguarding of children
• Ability to work on own initiative and prioritise workload
• Monitoring and improving the settings performance (e.g Wage %, Debtors %, Income, Extra-curricular profit)
• Contribute to outstanding inspections (internal and external)
• Ensure accurate invoices are distributed to parents
• Being able to lead and manage a team and motivate staff
• Works collaboratively with colleagues
• Resilient and demonstrates ability to work well under pressure
• Good time management
• Willing to work within organisational processes and procedures to meet required standards for the role
• Ability to demonstrate creative abilities
• Proficient understanding of computer/IT skills
• Confident and competent with numbers (training can be provided to do the cash book, scheduling, holidays etc)
• A full enhanced DBS check will be required for this post
• Full and clean driving license and access to car